An intro to this review archive!

PLEASE READ!! - Welcome to Warewolf95's "Idiot Review" archive!!

 Howdy folks! As the title says, welcome to my archive of live show reviews as I have posted on the Steve Hoffman Music Forums website! I pr...

Monday, November 15, 2021

2011-07-02 Watkins Glen, NY + Ambient Set

An hour into night 2 of Superball - 7/2/11 and this show DEFINITELY has that Extra Mustard Sauce lacking from the first night.

I don't know what it is - it's just that intangible vibe. Some shows have "it" (no pun intended...) and other shows are just good shows.

That has "IT".  

------------------------------------

Still in set 1!!!

MONKEY MAN!!!!!!!!! Friggin' NAILED!!!

Suskind Hotel was spectacular as well 

--------------------------------------

 Set 2

More uneven than the first set, but that's barely saying anything considering the length of this show and pure number of songs played.

Also, Scents has the intro :D 

--------------------------------------

Ok, so I never gave my proper final thoughts on night 2 of Superball. Here we go:

7/2/11 Watkins Glen - Superball, night 2
Officially the 2nd longest gig after Big Cypress

ON THE WHOLE:
I feel like I wasn't blown away as much as I would've like :p It was certainly awesome from start to finish, but really, it often just felt like a lot of songs and nothing more :p
That is ok, I'm the song guy - can't have a good jam without the launching pad! But for a "special" festival set it was definitely underwhelming.

Set 1 raged. Full stop fire from start to finish. It's set one so I'm not expecting much. Just great, stinking HOT rock and roll :)
Set 2 was easily the least fulfilling of the three. It just felt more uneven, really.
Set 3 was definitely the height of the jamming. There wasn't much Type II this show, but the short bits here and there, especially in set 3 were fantastic.

So, compared to the rest of 2011 I've heard so far, I'd rank this show very strong B+/A- . It WAS great but, c'mon, it shoulda been so much more. That's really the biggest complaint one can even really have with it. It definitely gets the ** rating from me (meaning one of the best of the year), but at the same time its at the bottom of that group so far.

It's hard to really judge it that well! It WAS extremely enjoyable for me, but for the length of the show, it felt way too shallow. Big Cypress is uber-length, but with all the jamming in that show to pad out the time it doesn't feel so long, lol, jah feel me broskee's?

Here's my notes of Superball night 2 :p

7/2 Watkins Glen** - SUPERBALL (Longest show besides Big Cypress. Not much Type II, but everything is played with EXTRA rocket sauce. The jamming, when it does happen, is GREAT. Set 3 is the BIZNESS)
Tube (RAGING!)
Kill Devil Falls (HOTTER THAN THE SUN!)
Ocelot (SPECTACULARLY HOT!)
Divided Sky (PERFECTION)
Reggae Woman (Hot jamming!)
Camel Walk
46 Days (FACE MELTING DESTRUCTION!)
Suskind Hotel (JAM OF THE SET FREAKING AWESOME!)
Timber>
Back on the Train
Suzy Greenberg
MONKEY MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Runaway Jim (5K Race awards!)
McGrupp!!!
Axilla
Birds of a Feather
Stash
It's Ice
Scents and Subtle Sounds (WITH INTRO!)
Run Like an Antelope
Golden Age (FINALLY SOME TYPE II!!)
Prince Caspian (Long Type I!!!)
>Piper (Type II rage)
>Tweezer (Murky Type II madness)
>Julius
Number Line (Chill but gets cooking)
Twist (Awesome Chill latin jamming!!! Dynamic!!)
>2001 (AMAZING SEGUE INTO!)
>Harry Hood
Loving Cup
>Tweeprize 

-----------------------------------

7/2/11 Watkins Glen - Superball

SECRET AMBIENT SET

Ok, so I'm 36 minutes in. Took them a while to get going, but firmly around the 30 minute mark there is a terrific slow jam going on. Sounds like it could've morphed out of a No Quarter performance.

But really, I'm not gonna try and commentate on this friggin' set. When they hit a stride it's excellent :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment