An intro to this review archive!

PLEASE READ!! - Welcome to Warewolf95's "Idiot Review" archive!!

 Howdy folks! As the title says, welcome to my archive of live show reviews as I have posted on the Steve Hoffman Music Forums website! I pr...

Monday, November 15, 2021

2019-02-21 Quintana Roo, MX

In the mood to continue onwards from 12/31/18, so I guess I'll just keep going into 2019 for now!

When I was driving dump truck in 2019 I listened to the Mexico run of shows and enjoyed them very much. At that point in my "phandom", these shows introduced me to some of the newer tracks such as Everything's Right and I Always Wanted It This Way, etc

I remember very, very much enjoying these shows, especially the first one, 2/21/19.

What a wacky setlist on this night!

The return of Spock's Beard kicks things off. I don't think it works as opener, BUT it is a great version (like there are many to compare...) with little rust to be found. Everyone sounds full of energy and Trey nails his parts. This sounds like they rehearsed the hell out of it. Thank goodness. 

---------------------------------------

 Man oh man, set 1 of 2/21/19 was awesome. Felt like a perfectly assembled beach party playlist.

The only songs "out of place" were Free and Funky B - both were excellent versions though!!
Loved the set as much as I remembered. Very relaxed and easy going vibe - perfect chill without being lazy.

Set 1 notes:

02/21 Quintana Roo, MX
-SPOCK'S BEARD (First since 2003, excellent version)
-Twist (Very, very nice jamming. Relaxed and beach-worthy. Builds good heat and threatens Type II)
-Free
-WHO LOVES THE SUN (FIRST SINCE 1998)
-Everything's Right (16 minutes. Excellent jazzy Type II. Smooth as hell. Giant peak. A terrific outing).
-WACTOOB - Wonderfully chill. Sensing a theme here? Total perfect beach relaxation.
-Rise/Come Together (Terrific, guitar-hero Trey rendition. More beach references in lyrics. AWESOME version)
- Sand (Dark and nasty disco party. Very dank.) 

---------------------------------------

Finishing my proper listen of 2/21/19, Mexico #1

For real, this show is spectacular. The setlist is wacky as heck (in a great way), there is lots of inspired jamming of varying lengths (that 20 min I Always Wanted It This Way!) and the hosiest Bathtub Gin of 3.0

I know I'm the king of hyperbole, but this really was a GREAT show - extra memorable, even, imo. I would rate this a solid 4.3 or 4.4 on .NET

There wasn't a single poor performance - everything is worth hearing at least once (even the hot-as-usual-nothing-special Funky B).


Check my highlights list:

2/21/19 Quintana Roo, MX (OCEAN THEMES EVERYWHERE. Super FUN show!)**
SPOCK'S BEARD (First since 2003, excellent version)
Twist (Very, very nice jamming. Relaxed and beach-worthy. Builds good heat and threatens Type II)
Free
WHO LOVES THE SUN (FIRST SINCE 1998)
Everything's Right (16 minutes. Excellent jazzy Type II. Smooth as hell. Giant peak. A terrific outing).
WACTOOB - Wonderfully chill. Sensing a theme here? Total perfect beach relaxation.
Rise/Come Together (Terrific, guitar-hero Trey rendition. More beach references in lyrics. AWESOME version)
Sand (Dark and nasty disco party. Very dank.)
Soul Planet (Short but tasty as hell. Nice jam develops but doesnt last.)
>Spanish Moon (AWESOME!!! Fantastic segue into it from SP. PAGE THE RAGE)
>I Always Wanted It This Way (20 min soaring BEAST. BRING ON THE HOSE!)
>Death Don't Hurt Very Long
>2001 (Keeps it going crazy! Long and jammed!)
Bathtub Gin (HOLY FREAKING CRAP BIGGEST HOSE PEAK OF ALL TIME)
Waste (Gorgeous)


IN CASE I DID NOT MAKE IT CLEAR ENOUGH, I LOVE THIS SHOW! :)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment