An intro to this review archive!

PLEASE READ!! - Welcome to Warewolf95's "Idiot Review" archive!!

 Howdy folks! As the title says, welcome to my archive of live show reviews as I have posted on the Steve Hoffman Music Forums website! I pr...

Friday, January 27, 2023

2010-08-14 Alpine Valley, WI

8/14/10 Alpine Valley

Tonight I'm hanging in starbucks watching the Alpine Valley 2010 dvd I grabbed at the xmas sale :)

So great to have proper pro video for at least 1 and a half shows of this insanely fantastic summer tour.

An unexpected Tube opener rages like we are in the middle of set 2. Great opener!!!  

Dang, this has to be the hottest opening 20 minutes of show all summer.

Tube
Oh Kee Pa>Suzy Greenberg (which DESTROYED)
Funky B

Good lord! :)

Reba

Man, it doesn't matter how many times I hear/see a performance Reba, I'm still completely blown away by the "complicated" section of it.

The amount of practice and concentration it's gotta take to play that - especially the part where Page and Trey go out of sync - is just insane. 

 Continuing my previously interrupted viewing session of 8/14/10 with set 2.

The Sloth didn't work too well as a set opener tonight imo - it needs more oomph to it. It wasn't for lack of effort or energy, but it just didn't come off great to me for whatever reason.

Thankfully the energy gets higher and we get back into the swing of things with a killer DWD. About 15 minutes in length, it's nowhere near an all-time version, but it's definitely as hot as "insert random early 3.0 DWD". :)

EDIT - Spoke too soon on that DWD - it gets pretty far out into Type II land for about 10 minutes of pure, unadulterated RAGING. Definitely worth a listen. 

 Down With Disease>Jam>What's The Use

Woah...

At first it seemed like DWD was gonna be a standard Type I rager, but then eventually they jumped off the ship into some great Type II raging before abandoning all life vests and going into a completely unexpected and PERFECTLY executed What's The Use

WTU was beautiful. I thought at first they were doing some Floyd or something and then I remembered what it was, haha (sorry - I'm still becoming acquainted with the Siket Disc) 

DWD>Jam>What's The Use>Scent Of a Mule

Talk about being blindsided by a sequence!!!!  

Mike's Song>Dirt

?!?!?!?!?!? WHAT?!?!??!?

People on .NET complained about this and I was expecting it to be a disaster, but after the total rage fest of the DWD>WTU>Scent and Mike's Song itself, this was actually the perfect slot for it in the set.
Also, the segue was perfect and was not jarring at all. You wouldn't expect that coming out of MS but it fit pretty dang well!! Also, this Dirt is just insanely gorgeous. This is my favorite Phish ballad besides Waste and this version is so good it gave me chills on my arms. 

 Man, when I'm done with 2010, my show-by-show notes are gonna be pretty useless. Almost every gig so far has been base-level 8.5 or out of ten. At least!

I'm, I think, 26 gigs in and only 2 or 3 have not ripped my head off. This is a FAR cry from 2009 - even the mostly exceptional fall tour!

8/14/10 wasn't the best show of the summer so far, but I wouldn't hesitate to put it in the top 10 or 12 so far. That's saying something considering it's competition. :)

They picked a great gig to film/release and I'm glad they did! Great setlist, great energy, rarities abound, SEGUE HEAVEN, great jams...

It's just an all-around barn burner with great flow and sequencing as well - something the boys sometimes seem to struggle with. But not on 8/14/10!

Get the Alpine Valley dvd if you don't have it - it's well worth the $10 I paid for it on drygoods

 

 There was no ripcording in this show. Everything flowed great and the sequences were a surprise (especially the fact that they worked so well!)

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment