An intro to this review archive!

PLEASE READ!! - Welcome to Warewolf95's "Idiot Review" archive!!

 Howdy folks! As the title says, welcome to my archive of live show reviews as I have posted on the Steve Hoffman Music Forums website! I pr...

Sunday, November 14, 2021

2018-10-27 Rosemont, IL

Stash - not my choice of opener, but it had a pretty tasty jam. Got dark! 

The Dogs - rocked good and raised the roof but didn't do anything jam-wise 

Blaze On - I still think the song itself is dumb, but this was a great version. The jam was must-hear, imo. Just wonderful upbeat bliss jamming that rocked. 

Water in the Sky - beautiful but non essential 

Ya Mar - Very fun, keeping the upbeat momentum of the last two songs. Non essential though a good toe tapper :)

Vultures took the fun mood of the previous songs and turned it dark.
 
46 Days was short (8.5 minutes) but went full Type II black hole rager!!!
 
David Bowie - Not a fan of this one. Nice jamming but the song portion reeks (TREY).....

Overall a strong B+/A- set, imo
 
Moma Dance - excellent straightforward take.

No Men In No Man's Land - I'm sure you're all expecting me to gush, but I merely enjoyed this. 25 minutes but it didn't take me for any real journey like I hoped. Just a lengthy exercise in excellent funky Type II jamming. IMO, worth hearing once but not an all time.

Steam - They ALMOST nailed the segue into this perfectly! The guys were slowly morphing from NMINML into this and instead of waiting 20 more seconds for tempos to align, Trey just reverse-ripcorded the band into the song like "no! we are changing songs NOW!" :p Funny but disappointing.

Chalkdust Torture - excellent straightforward take that rocks like no tomorrow. Segued (I think?) out of Steam, Steam didn't really have any jam. It kinda just ended abruptly and they JUMPED into this.  

This was a good, enjoyable, SOLID show. No major trainwrecks, one massive Type II jam, some pretty good segues.

Pretty good upbeat rocking throughout (Chalkdust, Suzy, Fuego, etc) but I can't help but feel this show was a little "flat". Like stale soda or something. There's nothing WRONG with it, it's just not over the moon.

And that's fine! A "very good" Phish show is anyone elses baseline "excellent" show :)

It just didn't feel like it had the extra "pizazz" goin' on or something.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment