An intro to this review archive!

PLEASE READ!! - Welcome to Warewolf95's "Idiot Review" archive!!

 Howdy folks! As the title says, welcome to my archive of live show reviews as I have posted on the Steve Hoffman Music Forums website! I pr...

Sunday, November 14, 2021

2018-10-28 Rosemont, IL

Everything's Right - unexpected Type II jamming opener! Very beautiful, actually. 

Destiny Unbound - Excellent version, comes close to being "jammed out" but never really gets there. 

Heavy Things - I love this song but am almost always disappointed by live versions of it. Toss this one in that pile. 

Miss You - absolutely SOARING guitar playing from Trey. Wonderful rendtion. 

Tube - Takes a long time to get going but around 7 minutes in we get a full-blown "I'm a Man" jam happenning and things head for the sky!!!! Worth hearing for that alone :)

Up next is Petrichor - other than the other 2018 versions, I can't honestly say I've heard the song more than 2 or 3 times total. I love Time Turns Elastic, but Petrichor has been way harder to keep me interested in, so I won't really be able to say one way or another how good this was. 

---> ---> ---> Wow! I enjoyed that way more than I expected to. It seemed pretty flawless execution-wise. Also it felt a lot more cohesive than TTE (which sometimes feels like 5 different songs slammed together) 

I Always Wanted It This Way - This is such a weird song. The first I heard was the Mexico 2019 version and it hooked me on it! I love it, haha. This one wasn't the beast that one was, but it reached Type I Energy Explosion Melt Your Face levels, so that's good :)

Awesome version.

This set was excellent - the only out and out non-highlight was Heavy Things. This was easily the best complete overall set since the Nashville shows  

Night 3 of the run and up through What's The Use it's basically been a home run.

Reading .NET reviews and the forums over there just for the heck of it, I'm not jiving with most opinions of this run.

For me, Show 1 and 2 both had lots of major highlights, but were not totally overall great shows. They were both very pick-and-choose, imo.

This show, 10/28, is imo the best of the 3 by a wide margin. As a complete listening experience it's been a perfect play from the start.
Hell, this second set has been a spectacular example of choosing the right songs at the right time!

Carini>
No Quarter>
Cities>
Gotta Jibboo>
Twist>
What's the Use>
Twist

That's a 54 minute segue fest. And a true built-by-the-second one at that. Not some ripcorded bunch of songs jumbled together. This was legitimate evolution from one song to the next - organic, rather.

And that's what is separating this from the other 2 shows for me. The whole show has hung together as one piece remarkably well, regardless of whether you enjoy the setlist or not (no major qualms from me).

In other words, ROSEMONT '18 #3 IS WHERE IT'S AT!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment