An intro to this review archive!

PLEASE READ!! - Welcome to Warewolf95's "Idiot Review" archive!!

 Howdy folks! As the title says, welcome to my archive of live show reviews as I have posted on the Steve Hoffman Music Forums website! I pr...

Sunday, November 5, 2023

2023-02-23 Rivera Maya, MX

 Still doing 2021 on the weekends, but since im officially hitting MSG for New Years, ive decided to listen through 2023 in the dump truck like I just did for my replay of 2018 So that means no "stupid reviews" lol. Just comments when Im parked for a moment. :p

Beginning the morning with 2/23/23, Mexico #1

I knew the sound was gonna suck going into this (the summer tour Live Phish sound AWFUL!). But even still its immediately rubbing me wrong right 9ff the bat.

A killer Hood kicks the door down and Moma is destructive, but you wouldnt know as it sounds like they are playing in a damn cave.....

Back On the Train continues the heat in a big way as well. I THINK its a terrific version, and I THINK Page kills it, but I have no idea BECAUSE I CANT FRIGGIN HEAR HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!

:realmad::realmad::realmad: THIS MIX SUCKS!!!
Ok, rage aside, from what I can hear, this was genuinely an exemplary version that flirted with going Type II at times. It's definitely super stretched out.

My Friend is next. Sounds super tight and POWERFUL! Again, Page is MIA....it didnt jam any but felt like a strong Type 1 reading.

13 min Sand up next. Sucker genuinely goes Type II into an upbeat bliss jam with soaring synths (I think - I CANT HEAR THEM!) before rocking its way to a peaky close. I THINK this Sand is terrific, but again, I CANT HEAR MOST OF IT! :realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad:


Sample is next. Solid version as always. Ever wanted to hear a version with no piano? Today is your lucky day!

Ya Mar up next without any keys as well.... /s. I cant attest accurately to the quality of it because, well, do I need to say it again?....

Roggae is NUTS! Absolutely A+ all the way around. I can even hear enough Page via mic bleedthrough (im assuming, lol).

Super rare Cars, Trucks, Buses gets us back up and dancing. TERRIFIC soloing from Trey!!! Killer!!!

The heat continues with a 17 minute Blaze On. Blaze On gets out there very nicely. Wonderful Type II bliss funk. No idea what Page is doing BECAUSE I CANT HEAR HIM AT ALL, but Gordo is going nuts with his fx abd Trey is using robo fx sparingly. It builds to a wonderfully patient bliss-peak area as expected, but its so damn excellent....Holy schnike, what a great piece of music! This thing builds and builds and friggin BUILDS into a majestic beast!! MUST HEAR!!!! It just goes on and on an on! This is incredible!!!!!


Really excellent Twist comes right outta that Blaze On. This one gets dark and quiet very fast. But then they build it back up and RAGE it to a conclusion. Terrific little Twist!!!

Bouncing is next. Very nice.

A must hear, incendiary duo of Free and 46 Days drop the nuclear bomb on us all and send us out headbanging. Holy crap both were GREAT!!!!!

46 Days was INSANE!!

All in all, this was a GREAT little show!!!!! Dont let the whole "Mexico warmup" thing put you off! The band was on FIRE throughout!! Blaze On was MUST HEAR!!

GREAT GIG BUT THE MIX IS HORRENDOUS! NO EXCUSE FOR THAT! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment